Hiya guys and girls!
This is the first in my upcoming series of 'how to' posts - a series which will probably consist of mainly lifestyle/advice posts but maybe some tutorials or something too. Who knows! Anyway, I got the idea for this post earlier today when talking to a friend. As you may know, I am currently doing a PR internship and today I had to work from home. So, I had to wake up at 8:30 and get ready for work but not actually leave the house... My friend said that she would find this pretty difficult, but I think one thing I've picked up at uni is how to motivate myself to do work without actually going to work! So here is what works for me:
- Get dressed - I know this sounds stupid, but what I mean is, don't be tempted to just work in bed in your pyjamas. If you actually get up and get dressed, you will feel ready to start your day of revision or work.
- Don't open Facebook/ Twitter/ whatever when you start up your laptop - treat it the same as if you were at work, you wouldn't sit there checking your personal newsfeed for half the morning would you? Obviously if your job involved social media then do open up your business ones, just avoid your personal ones!
- Have a tea break - you may as well make the most of the fact that you are at home and make yourself your favourite drink without having to pay millions for a Starbucks one.
- Do sit at a desk - when on the laptop I tend to lounge on the sofa, but sitting at a desk with my laptop, notebook and cup of tea really makes me feel like I'm ready for work!
- Finish on time! - because you are at home, it's very easy to work for longer than you usually would, so make sure you finish any work or revision related emails or reading by the time you would usually finish work or uni. I cannot count the number of times I've carried on revision until waaaay past an acceptable hour.
So that's what helps me, have you got any tips?
(Photo credit here.)