Monday, 18 February 2013

Weekend Update.

Hey lovelies, hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.
 
I just wanted to write a quick post to update everyone on what's been going on. This weekend has been eventful. Six members of my family are visiting me in uncharacteristically sunny Chalon-sur-Saone this weekend - so, that's my mum from England, and my grandparents, two uncles and aunty from Finland. I haven't seen anyone (bar the mother) since July 2012 so I've been looking forward to this for aaaages and it's been great.
 
My mum arrived on Friday evening and we had a lovely catch-up over a traditional French dinner of foie gras and onglet du boeuf ( a beef casserole type thing), accompanied my a bottle of wine and some Kir Royales ( Blackcurrent alcohol with sparkling wine - mmmmm!). On Saturday morning we went to near-by Dijon for a spot of shopping. Lovely.
 
The rest of the fam arrived on Saturday and we had a casual walk around the town before heading for dinner - a nearly 4 hour affair. I had snails (not for the first time) as did my mum, uncle and aunty. My grandparents and other uncle, however, refused - my uncle is notorious in our family for being a picky eater so it was a pleasant surprise when he said he enjoyed the meal he did order. Success!
 
Les escargots!
 
We also tried a local wine. It was one that I hadn't personally tried before, which is surprising seeing as my friends and I have made a considerable effort to try all the wines in the local supermarket...
 
 
Finally on Sunday morning we met up in the morning to have a look around the city's market, which always attracts a lot of people. It was great and my granddad even bought some dried donkey sausage to try! I'll report back...
Afterwards, we drove the scenic route to Beaune, which is a village very famous for its wines. This was a huge hit with everyone - we went to a museum called 'Les Hospices de Beaune' and an antiques fair which happened to be on.
For Sunday dinner, I decided to make raclette for everyone. This is literally just boiled potatoes, saucisson sec, and melted cheese. I served it with a quick salad and the obligatory baguette and cheese. Despite the simplicity, everyone loved it and we were stuffed. It was actually a really nice experience to be able to cook for my family like this and I would definitely like the chance to make something more adventurous next time!
 
Has anyone else ever tried snails? Or what's your favourite 'weird' food? I would love to hear from you so leave me a comment!
 
xxx
 
P.S. If any of my readers happen to be a language graduate in a language related job, I would love to ask you a few questions! Leave me a comment, tweet or email me! And please pass on my details if you know of anyone - it's for a post on kanzilingua.com
 

4 comments:

  1. I would never eat snails, I'm too picky!

    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, they aren't everyone's cup of tea! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I like your blog very much. I'd like to invite you to my blog connected with fight against eating disorders, cause i think we shouldn't be silent about that. Of course you can find here also mode, make-up, opinions, advices, photos, daily stories, healthy recipes etc. You can trust me you will find something you will like.If you'll like it really much, you can become my new follower. Hope to visit me soon. Have a very nice time. xoxxx Andie

    www.andie-chambers.blogspot.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that eating disorders are something that should be spoken about! Thanks, I will check it out now. xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for the comments, I love reading them! I also reply to each one, so do check back. If you have a question, feel free to leave your twitter handle so I can tweet you the answer! If you like my blog, please feel free to follow me via GFC, Bloglovin or Hello Cotton - whichever takes your fancy :) x